* 여행의 큰 즐거움 중에서 빼놓을 수 없는 것이 무엇이라고 했는지 기억하시나요? 낯선 곳에서 낯선 사람과의 대화라고 했죠. Seattle에서 Mexico City로 향하는 United Airline 비행기 안에서 프랑스 Lyon에서 왔다는 금발의 아가씨와 나눈 3시간의 대화는 제게 평생 잊을 수 없는 추억으로 아직도 남아있습니다. 언어가 다른 두 사람이 비행기 안에서 나란히 앉아 제3의 언어로 서로를 이해해가는 모습은 정말 신비로운 언어의 마술 같았습니다.
A : Hi, my name is Jinsu Kim. It's a pleasure to meet you.
B : Nice to meet you, too.
A : Where are you flying to?
B : To Mexico City.
A : Are you traveling for business or pleasure?
B : I'm on a business trip. How about you?
A : I'm going to the Caribbean for pleasure.
B : Wow, I’ve only seen pictures of those stretches of sugary-white sand and turquoise waters. I bet you're really thrilled.
A : I really am. By the way, could I ask where you're from?
B : I'm from Lyon, France. Have you heard of it?
A : Sorry, I've never heard of it. Is it famous for anything?
B : It's famous for wine because Lyon is situated between three of the largest wine producing regions in France.
A : I really like wine. If I have a chance later, I'd like to visit your hometown and try every kind.
B : Well, don’t drink too much.
A : Don't worry. I really only drink a little bit for the taste.
Oh, we have to get off. How do you say 'Have a nice trip' in French?
B : Bon voyage.
A : I enjoyed talking with you. Bon voyage.
B : Bon voyage.
* Vocabulary *
situated 위치하고 있는, turquoise waters 청록색 바다, voyage 항해
a stretch of sugary-white sand 쭉 펼쳐있는 설탕같이 흰 모래,
* Useful Expressions
1. Why are you going to New York?
2. Nice to have met you.
3. I'm happy to make your acquaintance.
4. Are you traveling alone?
5. Could you pull the shades down?
* Did You Know
Airplane Etiquette 3
1. Ask your row-mates before you open or close the window shade.
창문 가리개를 열거나 닫을 때는 옆에 있는 사람에게 물어보세요.
2. When a flight attendant is talking to you, give them eye contact.